WELCOME NEW STUDENTS!
Thank you for your interest in the Cape College Center (CCC)! We strive to make your first steps into college easy to navigate and have created a step-by-step process for you to follow to help this transition.
Admissions, Advising and Registration
If you have any questions about any of this information, help is available at (573) 332-0516.
Step One: Apply for Admission
- Submit the online Application for Admission. There is no application fee.
- A PDF application is also available.
- Request that your high school counselor or principal submit a transcript showing your class rank, cumulative GPA and ACT/SAT scores and senior class schedule. After graduation, submit a final transcript showing high school graduation and successful completion of all coursework.
Step Two: Apply for Financial Aid
- You and a parent (if you are a dependent student) should create an FSA ID. The FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information online and allows a parent of a dependent student to sign a child’s FAFSA electronically.
- Obtain a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web Worksheet from your high school counselor office or online and complete the FAFSA. The CCC uses Southeast Missouri State University’s FAFSA code: 002501.
- Complete the FAFSA by January 15 to meet the priority processing deadline of February 1. This will improve your chances of receiving federal and institutional grant funds, low-interest loans, and financial aid from the state of Missouri. You can complete the FAFSA any time, but you may not be eligible for certain grants or awards that had a priority date of February 1.
- Financial aid award information will be emailed to your Southeast email account in mid-December.
Step Three: Advising and Registration
- If you have not taken the ACT or Accuplacer exam in the last two years and you have not completed a college-level writing and math class, you will need to take the Accuplacer placement exam before your advising appointment. We offer limited testing at no cost to you. Please call our office to schedule your testing date.
- After all test scores and/or transcripts have been received and reviewed, you are ready for your advising appointment! Please call the CCC to schedule your appointment with your academic advisor, Tinea Ortega. At this 30-minute appointment, your advisor will go over your test scores, prior credit (if applicable), update you on your degree progress and register you for your semester classes. It is a good idea to write down any questions you may have prior to your appointment as much information is discussed.
Step Four: Activate your SE Key
- To use the student portal site, you must first activate your SE Key. This can be done as early as 24 hours after you are admitted to the CCC. Visit https://portal.semo.edu. Under the login area, click the link for SE Key Activation. Enter your Southeast ID (SXXXXXXXX) and day and year of birth to begin the activation process. Be sure you write down your new SE Key as well as the password you just created. You will use this information to access all services within the portal, including your billing and financial aid. Your email address will simply be YOURSOUTHEASTKEY@semo.edu. Set up the Password Reset Facility immediately, in case you forget this password in the future.
- Check your email. This is very important! Make sure you check your email account at least once a week during breaks and multiple times a week during regular semesters. The Advising office sends out announcements and important information like class cancellations via your email. This is your responsibility, and it will be expected of you to stay informed.